Littleton Regional Hospital History
Arial view of LRH in 1974
Littleton Regional Hospital Historical Timeline
This timeline was developed to give you a snapshot of the major events that have shaped Littleton Regional Hospital from its start, back in 1906, to the present time.
For a more complete history, click here.
Littleton Hospital Association formed with the goal to establish and maintain a community hospital. Construction began.
Fifteen bed hospital dedicated on June 27, 1907.
Littleton Hospital Training School for Nurses opened.
First major construction project completed, increasing bed capacity to 47.
Littleton Hospital Training School for Nurses closed.
Major expansion project, increasing bed capacity to 61, modernizing the obstetrics unit and adding physical therapy.
Another expansion that created outpatient facilities, modernized the Emergency Department, and constructed office space for physicians.
- Construction/renovation to bring patient rooms up to safety code, update administration and clinical laboratory areas.
- Began providing 24-hour Emergency Department coverage at this time.
- Purchased Elmwood property near the Hospital in the late 1980’s to further expand support services and physician offices.
Additional building and renovations completed.
- Began offering multiple specialties to include neurology, cardiology, orthopedics, ophthalmology, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, and general surgery.
- Began offering CT and MRI's onsite.
- Now offering a full range of oncology services. Implemented Autologous Blood Donor Program
- Opened Lisbon Family Health Center, began renovating Whitefield Family Health Center.
- Began offering additional services to include lithotripsy, advanced cardiac imaging, breast imaging, and audiology.
- Began serving as a regional emergency blood storage site.
Hospital trustees determined that a new replacement facility was needed due to projected maintenance and renovation costs for this aging hospital. Groundbreaking for new campus built on land donated by the Hoffman Estate on October 19, 1998.
- Veteran’s Clinic opened January 8
- Move to new facility at 600 St. Johnsbury Road on January 23.
- Paramedic Program implemented.
- Physicians’ Office Building and Conference Center dedicated in memory of Dr. H. Taylor Caswell, Jr.
- Amberann George Fund established in memory of Amberann George, Director of Diagnostic Imaging, by her family.
- Combination of Development & Community Relations Departments.
- Established Littleton Regional Hospital Charitable Foundation to raise money in support of the Hospital’s mission.
- Established occupational health and injury treatment program.
- Added additional diagnostic cardiology and nuclear medicine technology.
Celebrated its Centennial on June 23, with over 250 attendees.
The Gale Medical Library maintains the Hospital's archives. To schedule an appointment to view the archives, contact Anne Conner, Medical Librarian, at 444-9564 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
LRH became the first hospital in northern New Hampshire and the Northeast Kingdom of VT to begin using a new 64-Slice Lightspeed VCT (volume computed tomography) scanner made by GE Healthcare.
Work on the relocation of Hilltop Road began on April 6, 2009, under the supervision of Daniel Hebert, Inc. General Contractor for all proposed new construction at LRHLRH broke ground for the expansion of the medical office building.
Upon completion of Hilltop Road, construction began on a 56,000 sq. ft. medical office building expansion.
More about this expansion and a Virtual Tour.....
A newly developed Patient and Family Resource Center was introduced to the Littleton community. The Resource Center is part of the Gale Medical Library at LRH, and provides a comfortable location for patients or visitors to LRH who may be waiting for an appointment, a second phase of a diagnostic/timed test, or people in the community who are looking for good information on a health matter.